This morning I had free time in Canakkale (pronounced Cha-nark-karl-ay by the locals) so I went for a bit of a walk around. I tested a proposed route with the young girl at reception and she thought it would be enough. I was trying to time everything to be on the 1pm ferry to be back at Eceabat (pronounced Etch-eh-bart by the locals) hotel where my tour operator was stationed by 1:30pm.
 |
| The Newcastle of the Dardenelles |
 |
| The Esplanade |
I headed out of the hotel and walked along the wide esplanade they've made along the 'harbourfront'. I couldn't help but be reminded of my recent visit to Newcastle. Thinking of Canakkale as "The Newcastle of the Dardenelles" was quite amusing; clearly, I'm very travel weary and need some rest!
The esplanade was pleasant led to a variety of statues and monuments, the most interesting shown below.
 |
| The Trojan Horse from the movie "Troy" of 2004 |
|
 |
| A model of Troy at the time of the legend |
|
 |
| Artwork, apparently paying tribute to the legend of th e battle of Troy |
|
 |
| Passers-By! |
|
 |
| A famous Turkish Navigator and Cartographer |
|
 |
| A statue (Ataturk?) telling schoolchildren to throw themselves in the Dardenelles? |
|
I then walked into the town proper until reaching another main road and walking back the way I had come and passed the street with my hotel on it until I reached a river that was supposed to block my path; so said the map, and so had said the receptionist. However, when I got there, they've built a bridge. It is clearly new. Anyway, I turned back there, cut through a construction site (I only discovered I was in such a thing about a third of the way in!) and then wound through the main shopping district down to the ferry port and stopped for tea.
 |
| Flowers for my friend |
|
 |
| Street scene of Canakkale |
|
 |
| View from a bridge not on the maps |
|
 |
| A construction site, without fences, signs, or anything. |
|
 |
| The shopping district (early on Sunday morning) |
|
I returned to my hotel in good time to check out and head out for lunch. I made the ferry as planned, only to discover as I arrived at the far side that I was being met at *my* hotel, so I was sped down to the other, quicker ferry and returned across the Dardenelles to meet my tour guide; only 30mins late! <sigh> All that careful planning only to have screwed up where I was supposed to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment