![]() |
| Main Entrance of Philae Temple |
![]() |
| 15th Century Grafffiti! |
However, as I said, many of the otherwise very impressive inscriptions have been desecrated over the years, including the direct application of graffiti by various conquerors over the years. I am once again in awe of the spaces they created with huge colonnades. Philae was apparently built across the Greco-Roman period too (500 years, all told) and the column capitals are very impressive.
Perhaps the highlight of the visit to Philae was not the
temple itself, but the open-air ‘cafeteria’ on-site. Here, I was able to sit
under a cedar tree (I think) and look out over “the best view of the Nile in
Egypt” while sipping tea. It was serene (no barking touts) and comfortable. The
temperature was still developing, so it was a comfortable low-to-mid 20s, no
wind, cloudless sky; gorgeous! That 20 mins was probably as restful and
holiday-like as I’ve managed so far, and I loved it.
(I'm hoping to make a panorama of these two photos. I'll let you know if/when the pictures update.)
We went back onto the motor launch that had transferred us to the island, back through the gauntlet of hawkers and touts onto the coach for the trip to the High Dam of Aswan. For those not in the know, there are two dams across the Nile at Aswan. The Old Dam, built in collaboration with a number of countries and finished in 1902. The High Dam was built in the 1970s by the Russians for the Egyptians (apparently, no one else would help) and creates the second-largest man-made lake in the world, Lake Nassar. As an engineering feat, the High Dam is very impressive. It has some wonderful views down the Nile valley too. At one end of the dam is a monument to symbolise the friendship between Russia and Egypt, shaped as a Lotus Bloom.
Back in the bus and down to a developing area of Aswan where
there are many perfume factories. We are ushered into one particular perfume
house and treated to a very entertaining explanation of essences and perfumes
by a very personable and competent young woman. This is notable as well for it
being a woman, as most representative work is done by men. So we are guided
through what an essence is, why and how it is different to perfume, and then
what all the different essences and aroma therapy oils smell like or can be
used for. It was thoroughly enjoyable. I bought nothing, as fragile glassware
and perfumes that I don’t use could not attract the cash from my pocket.
On the bus ride back to the boat, we stopped on the Corniche
(spelled cournish here, I noticed; English spelling is very fluid here!) and as
I knew it was not terribly far back to the boat, I jumped off the coach and
walked back. It goes without saying I was approached by touts as I went along,
although not nearly as many as previous occasions. One boy though, trying to
flog me papyrus, was walking very close to me, pressing the papyrus against my
waist and I suddenly felt that he was trying to get his hand into my pocket. I
broke the contact between us, told him (for the 20th time) “No!” and
walked off briskly. I checked my pocket, mostly concerned because my room key
was in that pocket. If he’d taken all the money that was in there, he’d have
stolen maybe 50 LE (less than 10AUD) and I wouldn’t have cared. Losing the room
key would likely have had more costly repercussions. Anyway, no harm, no foul,
as they say.
![]() |
| Welcoming Party |
The afternoon was given over to a motor launch cruise up the
Nile. There were only three of us on the tour, with a new guide (whose name I
missed). This was a very peaceful trip. The motor launch ride was smooth and we
saw the west bank above Aswan in some detail. Of course, everything west of
here is Sahara Desert, so it’s quite a sight to see the very short green bank
give over to sand that you know stretches on for thousands of miles.
In due course, we pulled up at the dressed stone bank under
a Nubian (style) village. This is a typical Egyptian tourist site, with vendors
in stalls and beggars on the street. The houses here are relatively new, built
for the villagers when their original village was drowned in the lake behind
the old dam. They are in the traditional style and traditionally coloured, but
are not of traditional material, being built of sandstone or fired bricks,
rather than the traditional mud brick. The walk through the village is quite
pleasant as the hawkers here are much more relaxed. While we are walking along
a van full of Nubians singing and banging on hand-held drums drive up, do a
U-turn and head off. Our guide explains that there is a wedding going on and
the people in the van are guests. Apparenly, Nubian weddings stretch over
several days. Originally, they lasted for 40 days, so that distant relatives
and well-wishers could travel to the village from far-flung places.
We do end up attracting the attention of some of the village
children who want to sell us trinkets or to change English pounds to Egyptian
pounds for them (usually a lead to other transactions, or theft, we’ve
previously been warned).
We are invited into a Nubian house where we are shown the
house pet, a 1m crocodile. He has several slightly smaller friends. As we are
leaving, I manage to drop my empty water bottle onto the head of said crocodile
in his pit. Of course, I’m mortified, and I can’t reach in and get back the
bottle! It is all sorted quite smoothly, but you can imagine my embarrassment.
We spend our time in the house hearing from our guide of the Nubian domestic
traditions and drinking Hibiscus tea, which is quite nice. It is, apparently, a
natural blood pressure regulator. It looks like red cordial.
The motor launch ride home is faster (downstream) and
uneventful, although the sunset over the tombs opposite our river boat offer
great photos. We are allowed to disembark our motor launch via the roof onto
our river boat from the river side. A bit of a treat and an OH&S nightmare
in any country other than Egypt, except of course that it was perfectly
uneventful.
![]() |
| Sunset over the Nile, from the motor launch |
I declined the opportunity to attend the “Nubian Show” and
had an early night (again), to be well-rested for packing and departing early
in the morning. The last day of the first half of my life ended with me falling
asleep to the sound of Nubian drums and foot stamping from the deck above!












No comments:
Post a Comment